Let’s start our journey off right! The kitchen is the heart and soul of a home; when it’s in order, it’s easier to cook and eat healthy.
We aren’t going to start with food though, we’re going to start under your sink as we will need cleaning supplies when we continue on to the rest of the kitchen and house.
If you’re like most people, it’s probably a bit chaotic under there, so we will start by pulling everything out. Then set your timer for 15 minutes to keep you on task. You’re going to have to hustle on this one!
Everything’s out? Great! Let’s sort that pile, putting like with like. All the glass cleaner together, sponges together, etc. Done? Now, that’s look at each pile. Haven’t used that Easy-Off in years thanks to your new self-cleaning stove? Out it goes. Ditto to the marble polish for the counters you used to have.
Ask yourself these questions:
- How many half used bottles of window/tub/shower/all-purpose cleaner do you need?
- Could they all be consolidated into one bottle for each kind?
- Do you even need one bottle of each type of cleaner or could the all-purpose cleaner do the job?
- Do you have children and pets? Those are added incentives to get rid of the harsh chemicals and replace them with a vinegar based cleaner.
Continue on through each pile, put your discards together and consider asking the neighbors if they could use anything. Some charities will also take them, as will the hazardous materials department of your local trash service.
We only want one remaining of each of the following items:
- Window cleaner
- Floor cleaner
- Bathroom cleaner
- One roll of trash bags
- One container of wipes, etc.
I’ve seen under your sink, that’s all you have room for. Now that everything’s sorted, put the “out” bottles by your front door and push your “keeps” into a pile in the corner of the kitchen (or up on a counter if you have small children. We will finish taming that area tomorrow.
- Raid your pantry or the local store tonight and have a bottle of white distilled vinegar, distilled or boiled water and a box of baking soda ready for tomorrow.
- Order a plastic bin or caddy from Amazon Prime or head to your local store. In 2 days we will finish the organizing and will need places to store things. A shoebox or 2 will do in a pinch.